Bayram Cigerli Blog

Bigger İnfo Center and Archive

Great Great Grand Aunt Elsa

 This is my Grandmother's Great Aunt Elsa (right). That makes her my Great-great-grand Aunt!! Say that seven times fast! Born in Finland, she followed her sister to America in 1913 when she was 19 and became a successful seamstress. I bet she made her lovely outfit in the picture above!
  In 1923 she married Nilo and they settled on a small farm to raise sheep. Even though she wasn't a seamstress then, my grandmother remembers the lovely things she made and the sheep she raised. Aren't they a dapper couple?
This is one of her sewing books. Years and years ago poking around in Grandma's wonderful closets I came across it.
Published it 1930 by the Women's Institute of Domestic Art and Sciences. The set consists of eight booklets covering just about every subject on sewing. From how to choose the right fabric to basic sewing stitches to making collars and cuffs to fitting and alterations.
One of my favorite sections, how to make a Jabot!!
Another picture of Elsa and Nilo later in life. Love her hat!
Share

0 Comments:

Yorum Gönder